Home Menu

Site Navigation

ND Suspension / Handling / Brakes *** Sponsored by Flyin Miata ***
Discussion area for the maintenance and aftermarket addition of Suspension, Brakes, Alignments and Handling of your MX-5/Miata. For concerns and questions for "Stanced" vehicles, please post in the Slammed Section.

Old 23rd May 2023, 15:29 #1
Second gear

Second gear

Adjuster Extensions for Koni Adjustable Shocks

I recently installed Koni adjustable shocks with GWR Roadstersport Springs on my RF. So far, I like them, except for adjusting the rear shocks. Unlike many other options out there, Koni doesn't offer an adjuster extension.

So, time for modification fun. I want to determine how to make an extension similar to those offered by MeisterR, BC Racing, Xidas, Ohlins, etc. for the Koni shocks.

Before I begin, does anyone know if any of these other brands have a similar adjustment knob to the Koni?

Here is a pic of the back of the Koni knob:
Old 23rd May 2023, 17:30 #2
Fourth gear

Fourth gear

What does the knob plug into ? Is it a metal oval ? Could you mill a coupler in aluminium with set screws to connect to male part and set screw to hold in place and use a standard bowen cable ?
Old 24th May 2023, 07:12 #3
Overdrive

Overdrive

The other brands have smaller knobs.
That’s the new Koni knob? Looks like how I modified my old Koni knobs, to get access the left rear shock.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:57 #4
Second gear

Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumperthumper View Post
What does the knob plug into ? Is it a metal oval ? Could you mill a coupler in aluminium with set screws to connect to male part and set screw to hold in place and use a standard bowen cable ?
This is why I post. I assume you mean a Bowden cable, like the cable bicycle brake and shifter lines feed through. Assuming the internal cable was sufficient resistant to twisting forces, that setup would work (and seems to be how other manufacturer's extenders function.

The top of the shock has a flat blade sticking out of the threaded portion of the shock rod, and this knob just sits down on it like a reverse flat blade screwdriver.

Maybe I can find a set of extenders for another brand that someone still has after getting rid of the shocks, and modify the extender with a different attachment.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:58 #5
Second gear

Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill keksz View Post
The other brands have smaller knobs.
That’s the new Koni knob? Looks like how I modified my old Koni knobs, to get access the left rear shock.
This is a knob for a rear shock, the knobs for the front shocks have a standoff post.
Old 24th May 2023, 09:33 #6
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

the reason the koni knob is so big and why there are no extensions is you are preloading the rebound valve spring, not turning a needle valve. it will take way more torque to adjust than what the normal damper extenders will handle.
I made these extenders out of some flex drive pieces in preparation for running koni's but decided to go a different root after doing more research. the only thing left is making the standard 1/4" hex socket fit the tab. I was planning on slotting a couple 1/4" hex aluminum standoffs to finish them out.
pm me if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1638[1].jpg (101.3 KB, 93 views)
Old 24th May 2023, 17:40 #7
Supporting Member

Supporting Member

The MeisterR extenders have a cable with a hex end on it, which fits into the hex socket on top of the shocks. I can’t measure it now, but it’s probably 2-2.5mm.

But as others have said, on these other shocks you are adjusting the position of a needle valve, so it doesn’t require a lot of torque to turn the adjuster.
RBNetEngr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30th May 2023, 15:47 #8
Second gear

Second gear

Weeblebiker's idea looks like it will work. He just sent me the first prototype. When they arrive, I will document the install and functioning. Here's hoping these work out.
Old 30th May 2023, 21:10 #9
Third gear

Third gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne.s2000 View Post
Weeblebiker's idea looks like it will work. He just sent me the first prototype. When they arrive, I will document the install and functioning. Here's hoping these work out.
I would like to see the details on those. I was thinking about something similar for the rears. I installed Koni's with the GWR Progress RF springs. I also installed the GWR Roadstersport V2 front shocktower brace to give access to the front adjusters.

You mentioned in the initial post on this thread that you installed the GWR Roadstersport Springs on your RF. Were those the 300lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear springs or did you mean the Progress RF springs? If they were the GWR Roadsersport springs, how is the ride height front and rear?
Old 31st May 2023, 22:22 #10
Second gear

Second gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarner View Post
You mentioned in the initial post on this thread that you installed the GWR Roadstersport Springs on your RF. Were those the 300lb/in front and 200 lb/in rear springs or did you mean the Progress RF springs? If they were the GWR Roadsersport springs, how is the ride height front and rear?
I bought the RoadsterSport Spring Set 300#F/200#R Right now the ride height is essentially OEM because of the shock perches I chose. I am pulling the shocks back off soon (probably this week) to drop down a perch on both sets, looking for a little lowering.
Old 3rd June 2023, 14:10 #11
Third gear

Third gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne.s2000 View Post
I bought the RoadsterSport Spring Set 300#F/200#R Right now the ride height is essentially OEM because of the shock perches I chose. I am pulling the shocks back off soon (probably this week) to drop down a perch on both sets, looking for a little lowering.
I would be interested in seeing how the ride height is after you change it. I am on the Progress RF springs. They are just about right on the second perch down in the rear, but the front is a little lower than I wanted. I also want to go further in spring rate than the RF springs give.
Old 5th June 2023, 12:00 #12
Second gear

Second gear

Extenders Installed

Weeblebiker's custom extensions arrived this weekend, so I took the suspension apart and installed them onto the rear shock arms. These work a treat, and are pretty clean and easy.

Here are pictures and explanations -

First off, here is one of the extenders in parts on my bench. On the left is essentially a 1/4" hex flexible extension. The small piece in the middle is a chunk of hex Weeblebiker slotted to fit over the adjustment blade on the shock. On the right is a collar that mounts onto the top of the shock's shaft. Finally, I modified the Koni adjustment knob by drilling it out and gluing in a hex head adapter I had laying around. Next pic is a closeup of the slotted hex piece.

Here is the collar connected to the flex shaft, and then the slotted hex adapter attached to the adjustment blade -

And now, the whole assembly connected to the top of the shock. The collar replaces one of the bolts on the shock rod.

Installation follows normal rear shock installation (be very careful not to scratch your fenders -

Now, button everything up in the trunk -

I only made one hex head knob, but will probably end up making another so I have a spare.
Old 5th June 2023, 13:06 #13
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

glad it worked like I had it figured.
especially designing them with no konis in hand.
do they turn relatively smoothly for adjustment? I didn't think the curve would be enough to make the shaft bind.
ya can use a "1/4" hex finger driver" for a knob also or any 1/4" hex driver handle laying around.
Old 5th June 2023, 13:13 #14
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

anyone who's interseted, the aluminum bit is a aliexpress set of aluminum m12 x 1.25 lug nuts cut down and tapped with m14 threads on the open end for the flex drive pieces with matching threads cut on the plastic. so a m14 tap and die and a lathe and cutting a 1/4" deep slot in two 1/2" length 1/4" hex pieces with a 3/32 endmill is all that is necessary maybe $30 in materials shipped or less, don't recall, they've been sitting under a bunch of Russian electron tube patents for a few years.

I'm still sitting on 18 more lug nuts
Old 5th June 2023, 13:51 #15
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

I'm interested in both your opinions on the progress and roadster sport springs with the konis set soft.
did you need a spring compressor to install them or are they just long enough to take up the full stroke?
Old 6th June 2023, 11:43 #16
Second gear

Second gear

The knob turns smoothly, I'd guess the shaft has less bend in it than I would often contort such an item using it with my impact driver, and certainly has less torque running through it. I mostly wanted to adapt the Koni adjustment knob since it has the 'firmer' 'softer' directions marked on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeblebiker View Post
glad it worked like I had it figured.
especially designing them with no konis in hand.
do they turn relatively smoothly for adjustment? I didn't think the curve would be enough to make the shaft bind.
ya can use a "1/4" hex finger driver" for a knob also or any 1/4" hex driver handle laying around.
Old 6th June 2023, 11:47 #17
Second gear

Second gear

I did need a spring compressor for the install. I bought a nice toolkit on Amazon so I have it on hand if I don't like how Okami sits on the perches.

I need to go out for another drive now that I have the FM sway bar installed (working on brakes so the wheels are off right now) then I will give more feedback. I rode with the new shocks and springs with stock swaybar and OEM spring height last week. Felt slightly tighter than the OEM Bilsteins, but quite comfortable. I changed over to full firm on the back and half-firm on the front for an AX event and left them that way for the drive home. Noticeably stiffer and a bit jouncy.

Quote:
I'm interested in both your opinions on the progress and roadster sport springs with the konis set soft.
did you need a spring compressor to install them or are they just long enough to take up the full stroke?
Old 6th June 2023, 18:43 #18
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

I should also add I can make 9 more sets if anyone is interested and doesn’t have access to the necessary tools.
Pm me directly.
Old 7th June 2023, 20:15 #19
Third gear

Third gear

Thanks for taking the time to document the installation. Do you think you could install these adjuster extensions without taking the shocks out of the car? Looking at the install photos, it looks a little tight to the top of the trunk.
Old 7th June 2023, 22:51 #20
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

could it be done? maybe but save yourself the grief.
it's a pain in the butt working in the back of the trunk and the flex extensions black housings are fairly stiff. it would be difficult to not crossthread something and very very time consuming in an akward position threading the parts together a quarter turn at a time and readjusting the flex and turning another quarter and readjusting, etc,,,
been there done that installing my Tein EDFC stepper motors and right angle extensions. when I removed the engle extensions and mounted the stepper motors directly I took the suspension out to do it and the whole process was quicker and easier than working in the back of the trunk
Old 8th June 2023, 17:10 #21
Third gear

Third gear

That is what I thought. It looked pretty tight with them installed and one needs some clearance and length for the threads. I was thinking about ways to use one of those ~90 bend adapters for the hex drives as an alternative. If I figure something out, I will post it.
Old 8th June 2023, 20:51 #22
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

there is enough room above the 50mm aluminum connector to not make a hard angle in the flex segment once installed. there was plenty of angle room above when I dry fitted them slipping over the m10 bilstien shaft but that is different than trying to slip down the 1.15" straight above the shock shaft while making sure the slotted hex engages the tab and keep everything veriticle and centered and not crossthreading while turning with the flexshaft on top. I looked at all possabilities and this is the most effiicent solution I came up with without doing serious custom design and machine work to attach a flexable shaft extension capable of handling the torque load to the damper's m12 threads after several several look-sees and measurements of the area around the damper top.
do post what you come up with
Old 12th June 2023, 20:06 #23
Sponsor

Sponsor

Very similar to what we did for the Ohlins... I was going to say that we have a few different end versions and could make a compatible adapter for the Koni (if there's enough interest) but, the force to turn the Koni is significantly higher than the other shocks we make these for, so the cable portion may need to be a bit beefier. We use a 1/4" cable but the Ohlins turn rather easily.

https://www.miataspeed.com/collectio...mper-adjusters

MiataSpeed.net is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16th June 2023, 10:02 #24
New-tral

New-tral

Quote:
I should also add I can make 9 more sets if anyone is interested and doesn’t have access to the necessary tools.
Pm me directly.
I'm becoming more and more of a Luddite the longer I've been 29

Not sure if I actually messaged you properly or not, but it's super hard to get an end mill into an apartment without the landlord getting upset. I'd love to get a couple of these from you if you've still got the parts.

Thanks (=
cmbyrd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19th June 2023, 18:24 #25
Fifth gear

Fifth gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarner View Post
Thanks for taking the time to document the installation. Do you think you could install these adjuster extensions without taking the shocks out of the car? Looking at the install photos, it looks a little tight to the top of the trunk.
I'm working on making it so ya don't have to take the suspension off. making the first set this week. thanks for making me think it harder.