Antec P180 - Cable Management 101

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Here it is, my watercooled P180 case(yeah this is my first WC, so i think i coulda made some of the tubes shorter...but i didn't for fear of being too short, and getting folds in the tubing lol

CIMG0488.JPG

whatcha think? anything else I can do?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Nice. Did you get the Swiftech kit? Looks like the 120 Premium kit? Can't tell because I can't see the rad.

Do you have some pics of your rad setup? I'm really interested in seeing the rest of your setup, since I'm thinking of going liquid cooling at some point myself. I'm still trying to figure out how to physically lay out the loop, etc since my case is awfully full.

Post some more pics please! I'd love to see them. :)

No fan in the bottom chamber for the PSU?

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Nice. Did you get the Swiftech kit? Looks like the 120 Premium kit? Can't tell because I can't see the rad.

Do you have some pics of your rad setup? I'm really interested in seeing the rest of your setup, since I'm thinking of going liquid cooling at some point myself. I'm still trying to figure out how to physically lay out the loop, etc since my case is awfully full.

Post some more pics please! I'd love to see them. :)

No fan in the bottom chamber for the PSU?

Yes it is that Swiftech kit. i gotta say that I love it!! OCed to the tilt, and quiet, using parts known to be pretty reliable :)

here is a pic of the radiator. I have flipped my top fan over so that it sucks in cold air from the outside thru the radiator, and the rear Antec fan blowing air out. I really like this snazzy Apogee GT waterblock too.

Yeah I canned the fan on the bottom of the case for cabling, figuring the PSU has it's own fan(they don't normally require a fan for the PSU anyways right? I thought that that fan was only to create a wind tunnel effect sending air out the front of the case), and the internal temps don't really get warm anyways.

I also am not using swiftech's radiator setup because there is no good location on the back of the PC to hold the radiator without blocking one thing or another, so I had the idea of using a case fan to suck cold air thru it :)

see here the radiator ;)

CIMG0490.JPG

Not sure what ya would like more pics of, but I can take more of something specific if you like :) I used the case's 2 tube holes for my cooling tubes, and the slit already there above the motherboard for that 12V plug that i routed around the side.

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
your setup looks awesome! i'm hoping to go quad core later in the year, and if so, i might look to something else to cool the beast that is the 2.93 ghz c2q.. if it's under 500 :p

i'm not holding my breath on that, but you have a clean setup none the less.

i just rewired my p180, the before and after:

477725708_deaafdeb11_b.jpg

477725688_c8f1c914c7_b.jpg

and the back, which requires almost full utilization in order to get something truly clean in the area of the mobo for maximized air flow and ease of access. took me a good hour, without having to mod :p

477755273_d96cc0599c_b.jpg

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well done!

Love those stickers ;)

I wish I had the P182. The new slots are nice, BUT.......what makes them actually possible is that they moved the motherboard tray in very slightly.....this creates more clearance behind the mobo tray, so the big cables like the 24-pin can now fit. I took a look at my P180 again today....no chance of wiring like that. The mobo tray doesn't provide enough clearance for the bigger cables....it sits too far back, close to almost flush at the rear of the case.

asimons999

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
*edit: this was in regard.. to the orig 180 post..

I think one day i might get this case, (probably next upgrade). The thing holding me back was a review that didnt like the cable management situation.

I was wondering if there was enough room on the backside to cut wholes and run the cables up the back like you have, so i guess that answers my question.

I think I might also get a Dremel Muilty Tool. I figure angle grind out a rectangle shape (but dont cut it right to the corners 'yet'). Then drill the corners out leaving rounded corners. Then clean up the edges and presto.... clean rounded rectangles for slipping cables up and out of places.

good idea?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Very good idea.....except........you don't need to do that with the P182....it already has those holes and slots cut and rounded ;) A number of people have ordered the 180 and gotten the 182...for the same price. But you can specifically order the 182...costs a bit more I think, but then you're guaranteed to have the updated version with all the cuts already done for you.

That'll be easier and cost less than buying a Dremel. Just a thought.

asimons999

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
true, but the dremel would come in handy...

and at the place where i would get it from, i dont think they take 'orders' percey.. would save around $35 Australian there from most other places. Its like a wholesaler to the public.

though the dremel is probably $110 here (guess).. order a case from somewhere or a $35 discount on a dremel ;)

dought i'd want to go a cheapo brand..

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I'm in the process of upgrading to a liquid cooling system, I may start a new thread to show the layout and cabling for a P180 liquid setup. Stay tuned! :)

Mrgreen371

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I had a hell of a time with the p180. It was the Scythe SCINF-1000 I was trying to use. Not a good combo for a first time builder.

I just replace my p180 with a Silverstone TJ09 and could not be happier. It's bigger (front to back) and lighter while still being quiet. Very very easy to work with. From now on I will only work with a case that has a removable motherboard tray.

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
a removable mobo tray for the p180 would be marvelous, but it's not all that bad that i would actually go to get a different case. just me though.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
a removable mobo tray for the p180 would be marvelous, but it's not all that bad that i would actually go to get a different case. just me though.

same here...would be nice, but for me it doesn't detract enough away from the case to not get it. The reason it works for me regardless, is that I test all the components outside of the case first anyways..then just add what I can such as cpu/mem/waterblock or HSF, and put it in, add cables, do cable management..all in all doesn't take much effort. If they added a removable tray even better..but if not, no biggie, I stilll love the case :)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ouch, that Scythe is brutal to work with. A removable mobo tray would be very nice, I agree. But it isn't a deal breaker for me though.

But to be fair, the TJ-09 is ALOT MORE expensive than the P180, so it's not a reasonable comparison. Kinda like comparing a Ferrari to a Boxster.....both good but not in the same category ;)

Not to mention the Temjin is much more friendly to watercooling. But it is a nice case, no doubt. I love the Silverstones.....but they're unfortunately way out of my budget.

asimons999

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
so is the P180B another model, confirmed to have the mobo tray moved in and the tray a little different to run the cables behind the mobo without having to do a mod?

and has it replaced the orig p180? does it come in silver as well?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
P180 and P180B are the same......B is for black. They are the "old" model. The new model, the P182, has the mobo tray moved in slightly and has holes to fit cables easier through the back. As far as I know, the P182 is a gunmetal "black" finish. There is a Special Edition of the P182.....it is stainless steel-looking on the outside (VERY shiny), and interior is all black....not gray like all the others. Very nice, but costs a pretty penny more too.

glupee

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I love the hole for the 4-pin cable!
I got mine in a pretty decent setup, except for that cable :lol:
just couldn't think of anything, glad you did tho!
I'm going to have to try it out this weekend, thnx!

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Firstly, thanks for this thread, I'm building right now my new system and this was most helpful.
I ordered a P180B, and received what seems to be an early P182 case: It has the speed controls for the top tricools mounted outside on the back, and rubber covered holes apparently for liquid cooling.

But the best news is that exactly this kind of cable routing has been made possible with the stock case, as there are big premade holes in the right places of the motherboard plate, small tabs behind to tie the cables and that notch that let the cables bypass the PSU chamber "window" and go straight behind.

I agree. I purchased a P180B a month ago and was surprised to see that the inside didn't look like the million reviews I'd looked at. Holes have been added for both mobo connectors as well as holes pre-drilled and grommeted for liquid cooling. They've mounted the tri-cool switches so that you no longer have to take the side off to get at them. I guess Antec listens to user input.

Cable management is a snap especially when coupled with a modular PSU. I chose an Antec Neo 550HE.

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
sweet! i have 3 more case fans in my order; hopefully, i can keep the hdd cage in there and add an additional 120mm like you have blowing right onto the gtx.

and i like that little screw box they have attached to that cage, what a perfect little stash box. :lol:

thanks a lot, you fly skyguy!

Ya know, that little stash box is one of the two things that I can nit-pick about this case.

The location is horrible. You either have to pull a drive cage out or take the back panel off to get at it.

The other is that they could have made this the best case on earth by simply adding an inch to it's overall length. That would make cable management in the lower drive cage 100 times easier, and give you the needed room to add an optical or tape drive in some of the lower 5.25 inch bays.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
The other is that they could have made this the best case on earth by simply adding an inch to it's overall length. That would make cable management in the lower drive cage 100 times easier, and give you the needed room to add an optical or tape drive in some of the lower 5.25 inch bays.

yeah the SATA power and data are very very close to the end of my video card...but I think my video car is very long so that won't be the case for everybody. I wonder sometimes about mounting the hard drives in the bottom vertical cage(which I removed since I don't use it currently) to make that aspect easier.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I find that mounting the hard drives in the bottom cage is generally a better idea. 2 major reasons: the lower "wind tunnel" fan setup helps keep the drives cool; and the upper cage can then either be removed for more cable space, or kept in and 2 fans mounted for really good intake and airflow over your graphics card and right out the rear of the case. I find this configuration works best because your drives are isolated down below, and the graphics card gets the optimal airflow setup: 1 fan bringing in fresh air from the front, 1 fan pushing that air right over the card, then the card's cooler venting it all right out the back. Definitely a good setup for a hotter graphics card.

MonocleCat

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Awesome post skyguy. I haven't read all 3 pages, but thought I'd comment anyway :p

The p180 is deffinitely an awesome case. It's one of the cases I've been considering for my new build. I love its sleek design, but I think I'm going to go for a full tower (thermaltake armor) so I can do crazy things with it down the road. Anyway, the p180 is deffinitely a case that takes some loving to create a clean watercooled setup. The guys at xtremesystems.org have created some truly xtreme water cooling setups, and this almost 150 page gallery is proof. I know its rediculously long, but if you take some time and browse through it you can find some very nice p180 setups as well as some generally great ideas for watercooling your system.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34877

Enjoy :)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well, I'll post my P180 liquid setup here, but I may also start a new thread in the cooling section anyways.

The P180 case is not the most water-friendly, but I was determined to do a job I could be proud of. So after a lot of research and planning, I finally got my new WC setup bought and installed in my P180 case.

First and foremost my build had to QUIET. And affordable. And completely internal, as my 1 year old kid loves to grab and chew on things.....and an external rad/hoses/fans would be irresistable to him :eek: So the setup had to be sleek and clean. And I didn't want to hack up my case either, so a 240mm rad wasn't gonna work internally. And lastly, the new setup had keep things cool.

Setup:
-Swiftech MCP350 (I know, I know.....3/8" will do me just fine, not to worry)
-Apogee GT
-2 x MCR120's
-Micro Reservoir
-distilled water with HydrX
-3/8" Clearflex, Smartcoils

Loop:
Res > Pump > Rad1 > CPU > Rad2 > Res

Pics:
Overall. Added a bunch of additional noise dampening foam to the interior and exterior of the P180:
h2ooverallpf2.jpg

Side. The "extra" smart coils you may notice if you look carefully.....are not part of the loop.....they're used to disguise the USB cables and maintain a consistent aesthetic LOL. And no, the CPU > Rad hose is not kinked....it's just the angle of the pic. Next pic shows a smooth bend.
h2osidemh3.jpg

Upper chamber. Noctuas, more noise dampening, cable management.
h2ouppertr7.jpg

Lower chamber. Tight fit but works alright I think. High output fan is connected to fan controller.
h2olowerco0.jpg

Front. Added 2 intake fans, 1 each for upper and lower chamber to increase airflow to the rads. Very minor modification.....some rubber grommet for clearances, some noise matting for separation.
h2ofrontug1.jpg

My upper rad is an exhaust configuration right now. Temps seems pretty good considering it's venting the case air. I'm gonna try flipping the fan to make it an intake and compare temps. Then for whichever is better, I may do a push-pull on the rad with 2 fans instead of just one.

TEMPS:
When the case was running on air, I used a Scythe Ninja, and then tried a Zalman 9500. My case is near the furnace vent, so my ambient temps are kinda high (29C/80F). Temps on air for each HSF were virtually identical.....53C idle / 65C load in TAT :eek:

Now, I am VERY PLEASED to say that my idle temps are 9C cooler at idle, and 18C cooler at load, HELLYA! :toast:

Also runs VERY quiet at low fan rpm's, highest isn't too bad.....I only use that setting when I'm gaming for a long time and have the headphones on anyways.

So, overall I think it's a clean setup, all internal, temps have dropped HUGE, didn't have any major problems, and managed to do it all in a P180 case that isn't not the easiest to cable or install water cooling :)

hieuhef

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
cheers mate! :D

now that's what my setup is going to look like when i upgrade to quad core in the next year [penryn, anyone?].. and to hoping the 680i has vrm support..

besides that, you always manage to set the bar, skyguy.