Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni Adjustment Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Adjustment Location

I've looked, searched, consulted an oracle and prayed for divine guidance but I still can't find a straight answer: where are the adjustment locations for the Koni SA and DA shocks?

I bought my '01 Formula last from an internet friend. It had some work done: springs, Koni SI fronts, DA rears and some other adjustable suspension bits.

Last year it was fine and great but I don't know if it settled out in winter storage or what but this entire year the suspension has been awful, stiff enough to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. This remains an issue so I would like to adjust the shocks to a softer setting.

However, I am having conflicting information on where to find the actual adjuster. All I seem to find are pictures of the **** itself, not even the general location. This seems like pretty simple stuff but I am lost. Help me please!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the fronts there is a little silver "window" with holes in it right below the upper A-arm on the shock itself. You just use a small allen wrench and rotate the **** that you can see in the window.

The DA rears should have a **** on the top of them (or a spot for a **** to be used) that you can adjust the rebound and then there should be an adjuster at the bottom of the shock to adjust compression (may have them backwards).
Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsniperrifle
I've looked, searched, consulted an oracle and prayed for divine guidance but I still can't find a straight answer: where are the adjustment locations for the Koni SA and DA shocks?

I bought my '01 Formula last from an internet friend. It had some work done: springs, Koni SI fronts, DA rears and some other adjustable suspension bits.

Last year it was fine and great but I don't know if it settled out in winter storage or what but this entire year the suspension has been awful, stiff enough to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. This remains an issue so I would like to adjust the shocks to a softer setting.

However, I am having conflicting information on where to find the actual adjuster. All I seem to find are pictures of the **** itself, not even the general location. This seems like pretty simple stuff but I am lost. Help me please!
Could have definitely used the search feature in the suspension section to find this, if not you could have googled it or checked Koni's website...
Heres from LS1tech and google:
Front shock adjustment (SA, rebound adjustment):

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...photo_14.html#
http://www.koni-na.com/doublesw.cfm

Rear rebound adjustment:

Compression adjustment: (black **** near bottom of shock)
http://www.koni-na.com/double.cfm

Before all this check your tire pressure and make sure you are not running over 30psi.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't expect 9.5 sweeps out of the single adjustable konis...i only get like 4.5 sweeps.

just sayin'..
Old 12-28-2015, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old thread but looking for an answer from those who have these shocks.
How many clicks do YOU get?

This page says 12 for the front
http://www.koni-na.com/adjustment.cfm
Old 12-28-2015, 03:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I love the internet.

First, no ***** the fronts. Second, no clicks on any of the 4th gen specific ones. Third, a long time ago they had about 12 sweeps, about a decade ago that changed to about 8. If someone has 4.5 total on one I'd have to say something is wrong internally, like it's been bottomed out hard and bend the rebound adjusting mechanism.

Be careful with old threads. Products do change.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my Koni 4/4 this year and I've had the fronts UP TO 9 sweeps and the rears UP TO 1 and 3/4 turns. Both the front and rears can go higher, there was just no reason to turn them higher because any higher and it might as well be a dump truck with how stiff they can go.

Koni's site says the fronts go up to 12 sweeps and the rears 2 full turns
Old 12-28-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Thats whats great about the internet.....getting updated info.
Sooo, the Koni link above is showing 10 yr old info?
It should say 8 sweeps instead of 12?
Old 12-28-2015, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Just put them all back to zero, and if that is too soft for you slowly increase the adjustments (one sweep/half turn/one click) until it feels OK.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Understand that there is no full stiff stop in the Koni Sports. There is nothing that will stop the adjuster in a solid fashion. The adjuster is a needle and seat, and as you stiffen them the needle drops into the seat further until it goes no more.

What I am saying is simply stop listening to the internet. Typically we have 8-9 sweeps in front, 2 to sometimes 2.25 turns of range on the rear. Doesn't matter in so far as everything is based on full soft, that's the standard. Also that folks don't always count a movement as the same even with the very same shock. What one person says is 1 turn can be 1-1/8 to Joey an look like about 7/8 of a turn to Bobby. What matters is you set the shocks to a place you like how they work. You are the one adjusting them, and that place is up to you, for your car.

And yes, there is lots of old information on the web. You know how folks say you can't erase things from the internet? Perfect example. I know Torsen still showed information for 10 years about a specific differential that was never actually put into production with what they claimed it had. I know it's hard to believe but most businesses have things to do other than constantly comb over details of certain things like this. It's been years since it's even come up, and when it does I spend too much time arguing about it.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for all the replies, I should have stated these are 3-4 yr old shocks laying on the floor. I wanted to know how many sweeps they should turn before installing them. Evidently one has a problem. One turns 6, the other 8.
I called Koni first, but they're closed till the 4th.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Glad I'm not the only one who tore holes in my carpet to get easy access to the rear shock adjustments
Old 12-29-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I say Koni needs to make the front shocks similar to the rear. I would be willing to drill a hole in my shock tower to put an adjustment tool in there rather than jack up the car "not too high and not too low" just to be able to get a dinky allen wrench in the little "window".
Old 12-29-2015, 04:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And if it were that easy they would have. See also how most other cars are that way, All the Mustangs, the 3rd gen f-body, etc. But it's GM's fault they can't here. Not only is the tower blind on top, but the shock mount isn't big enough to put a larger shock rod through it that could carry the adjuster.

This is one of those things that seems simple and obvious, but once you realize there are reasons it's not really either.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Glad I'm not the only one who tore holes in my carpet to get easy access to the rear shock adjustments
There is NO OTHER way to do it!

(But I left the 'flap' attached, and just fold it back down over the opening when i'm done adjusting, changing the bushings, etc. )
Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And if it were that easy they would have. See also how most other cars are that way, All the Mustangs, the 3rd gen f-body, etc. But it's GM's fault they can't here. Not only is the tower blind on top, but the shock mount isn't big enough to put a larger shock rod through it that could carry the adjuster.

This is one of those things that seems simple and obvious, but once you realize there are reasons it's not really either.
I'll take that as the reason it can't be done. Sometimes packaging and space are our of your control.

The blind tower issue...nothing a drill bit or hole saw can't handle. I would be more than willing to put a hole through the tower if this could be done.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Koni Adjustment Location

Originally Posted by smitty2919
The blind tower issue...nothing a drill bit or hole saw can't handle. I would be more than willing to put a hole through the tower if this could be done.
This is a good idea for another reason: it allows any water (collected from below) to evaporate out from above the shock mount (thereby reducing the ability to rust).
Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to drag up an old thread. Is there any way to get the SA yellow fronts to a starting point? For example, can I soften them all the way until it hits a stop and then go from there?

Koni's install/adjustment instructions are god awful for the money you paid for them, and I really don't want to bug Sam with a stupid phone call.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by szalkerous
Sorry to drag up an old thread. Is there any way to get the SA yellow fronts to a starting point? For example, can I soften them all the way until it hits a stop and then go from there?

Koni's install/adjustment instructions are god awful for the money you paid for them, and I really don't want to bug Sam with a stupid phone call.
If you got them from me. PM, or better yet call me. I'll run you through it. Not really a fan of doing so here.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Sam, I'll give you a quick call. I appreciate the time.

Quick Reply: Koni Adjustment Location