"Off Center" Dollar Bill

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SorenCoins, Jun 29, 2021.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hello there everyone! I am not extremely familiar with paper money and all of the errors and rarities that one may encounter since I mostly collect coins. However, I have heard of "off-center" or "miscut" notes and I believe I have one.
    IMG_6582.jpg
    IMG_6583.jpg
    I found this 2013 dollar bill while searching through some bills. I was curious: How off-center/miscut does a bill have to be in order to be worth keeping? Is this one dramatic enough to keep?

It kind of reminds me of misaligned dies on coins. Some slight misalignment is normal, but if dramatic enough it is a good find.

JPD3 and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

it is a misaligned/off center cut still nice and a keeper.

4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

The notes that command higher than face value are ones that actually show parts of the next note, so your bill has NAV, no added value to most collectors. Spend it.

Cheech9712, 1stSgt22, mpcusa and 3 others like this.
  5. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Your bill is within the BEP tolerance for printing. The BEP would not consider this misaligned or improper cutting.

This bill is considered miss cut.

Star0084.jpg Star0085.jpg

Also, this can happen horizontally as well as vertically.

In order to have any added value, a miss cut printing typically must show some of the adjacent bill. The more the adjacent bill shows the greater the added value.

A miss cut bill will have the same amount of displacement on both sides.

Also, remember that the printing on the back of the bill is smaller than the printing on the front. This gives the appearance of more displacement on the back when it does not really exist.

A misaligned bill will usually show one side off center, or part of another bill, while the other side is properly centered.

tommyc03, 1stSgt22, NOS and 4 others like this.
  6. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

As its only a dollar, agreed with above in terms of keeping it - this being said, it is within tolerances, and not substantial enough to have any value above face. Being circulated, only worth $1.

Notaphylic_C likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

What Mountain Man said.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hey! I was thinking about you when I was watching the Unabomb series on Netflix. LOL.:rolleyes:;):woot:

9. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

Couldn't anyone buy a sheet of dollar bills and cut then anyway they want and then say they have something rare

Attached Files:

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes, that has been many times.

11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ted was a neighbor, but that was before my time here. He used to hitch a ride with the mailman from Lincoln to Marysville and sleep on the floor of the local bar.

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Unscrupulous people have cut bills from sheets and tried to pass them off as error notes. If you are buying one you should check the serial numbers against the BEP's list of serial numbers that were used for sale of sheets. If the "error" bill serial number matches the serial number that was sold in sheets pass up on purchasing the error bill.

You will find a lot of these fake error bills listed as "false cutting" on eBay.

Snowman and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  13. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

i never knew a list would be generated of what was sold in sheets. When I did a tour at Forth Worth - the store was selling sheets - so employees at Forth Worth who pulls sheets to sell has to put down the serial numbers before selling them ? is there a link to this to these serial numbers - thanks Snowman

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Snowman likes this.
  15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Pretty awful centering, that’s worse then better in this case.

16. I held mine up to the light. If it's a genuine misaligned error note, then you'll see the misalignment instead of all white.

17. I held mine up to the light. If it's a genuine misaligned error note, then you'll see the misalignment instead of all white.

Attached Files:

18. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

@Jersey magic man nailed it: the OP's note is only good for is spending. However, you might get a few "wows" over on Reddit where there's a # of "experts" who call anything an "error" & worth grading.

19. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

nothing special here, just not crazy enough…LOL , a Walmart spender

20. Loganchasinpaper

Loganchasinpaper New Member

I have a 2013 off-centered $2 bill in very good condition, does anybody know what those are worth?

21. Loganchasinpaper

Loganchasinpaper New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted