Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

2007 Suburban 1500 2WD towing issues

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban 1500 2WD towing issues

I recently purchased a used Suburban 1500 2WD (2007), and was towing my 1999 Prowler RV. Once I get above about 40MPH, the Suburban starts to sway.

I've towed this same RV for years with a Dodge Ram 2500, and never had that issue.

Is there any suggestions to change something on the Suburban to make it more stable to tow my RV? New shocks? Other enhancements?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

What is the trailer weight? Did some quick (not really...used to get good information from Edmunds.com...not easy anymore.) research.

Suburban towing capacity is 8100 pounds...Dodge is 9900. Towing past the spec'ed capacity is not generally a good idea...and can cause sway or handling issues.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jamurrin
What is the trailer weight? Did some quick (not really...used to get good information from Edmunds.com...not easy anymore.) research.

Suburban towing capacity is 8100 pounds...Dodge is 9900. Towing past the spec'ed capacity is not generally a good idea...and can cause sway or handling issues.
The RV is a 1999 Prowler Travel Trailer model 825Y. Here are the specs:

1999 prowler lite specifications

PROWLER LITE MODELS 825Y

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 6,000
Gross Dry Weight 4,280
Carrying Capacity 1,720
Hitch Dry Weight 440
Dry Axle Weight 3,840

It is never fully loaded. The Suburban should be able to tow this without issues.
Old April 4th, 2014, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah...that is not too heavy...seems a 'Burb should be able to handle that easily.

Tires good? Maybe jack up the rear axle and wiggle all the suspension parts...make sure nothing is loose.

Just thinking...I had mistakenly purchased a 1-7/8" ball for my 2" trailer tounge. Maybe something weird in the hitch receiver?

Could maybe get someone else to drive it on the highway while you drive another car behind and beside to watch where the trouble starts. Maybe its the trailer suspension (doubtful if no problem with the Dodge) Maybe its the hitch/receiver
Old April 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might do an alignment check on your Burb.
Don't put over 630 lbs on the Hitch (adjust load in Trailer).
Make sure your Tires are LT type, and are aired up within 10% of Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure (trailer too).
Check height of Ball when loaded, should hold Trailer level (you may have to buy a different Hitch/offset).
Check bushings on Sway Bars.
Not all Burbs are Tow Rated the same, do some research. However I'm pretty sure your Burb isn't overloaded towing 6000 lbs.

Last edited by SWHouston; April 4th, 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old April 4th, 2014, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Might do an alignment check on your Burb.
Don't put over 630 lbs on the Hitch (adjust load in Trailer).
Make sure your Tires are LT type, and are aired up within 10% of Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure (trailer too).
Check height of Ball when loaded, should hold Trailer level (you may have to buy a different Hitch/offset).
Check bushings on Sway Bars.
Not all Burbs are Tow Rated the same, do some research. However I'm pretty sure your Burb isn't overloaded towing 6000 lbs.
Thanks for the info. I forgot about checking the tires on the Suburban for load rating. I'll check the bushing also, as it does have just over 100,000 miles.
Old April 4th, 2014, 2:17 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SWHouston
I think this could have a lot to do with sway... if the tongue is too high the center of gravity is shifted further back on the trailer effectively loading more of the weight to the rear... and as I have been told, too much weight on the rear of the trailer will cause sway...
As convenient of a storage place as it looks, the rear bumper area of a trailer is the worst place to put weight...ideally over, or just to the front of the trailers axle is the best...
Old April 4th, 2014, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Another thing is the hitch receiver on the GMT900s is several inches higher than on the GMT800s. Requires a drop down hitch of about 9" for most trailers.
Old April 5th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kryten,
If the Tongue Weight and choice of a proper offset on the Hitch is going to be difficult for you, set your rig up like you were going somewhere, and take it by a good Hitch Shop. They'll be able to do a tongue weight, and select a Hitch that will set your Trailer right. I may be speaking out of school here, but here in Houston I go to Master Hitch. Great guys and I really recommend them.
Old April 5th, 2014, 8:08 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The Suburban can handle the trailer just fine. If you're getting sway, then it's because the tongue weight is too low. Shift cargo towards the front of the RV to add weight on the tongue.

The Ram likely has a longer wheelbase than the Suburban (extended or crew cab?), which provides more stability when towing a travel trailer.

The trailer should be level when hitched and loaded. If not, you'll have to replace the hitch with a higher/lower drop.

Going to the scales is always a good idea, to make sure everything is squared away. CAT scales charge $10 for a weigh.

Name:  20131228_185736_zps25dfc9c3.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  87.5 KB

Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban 1500 2WD towing issues